Recently, I was reading an article from Oprah’s site entitled “5 Things Happy People Do”. The list includes:
- Strive towards excellence based on your talents. This means taking on challenges and fulfill your sense of purpose in life.
- Design your life to bring in joy. Stated another way, spend time doing things you enjoy. Minimize time doing things you hate.
- Avoid the “if only” fantasies. In reality fulfilling these fantasies won’t be enough to make you happy.
- Put high quality relationships first.
- Allow yourself to be happy.
Based on several books I have read over this year, I would modify this list to include:
- First and foremost, strive for optimum health. Consult with a nutritionist and learn to eat healthy. Meditate, exercise and aviod toxins. The Longevity Project found that those who are healthy are also happy (not the other way around!).
- Be an active participant in your life. Be willing to try new things and be willing to fail. In the spirit of this, I have included a picture of me flying my glider in Minden, NV. It was scary flying this the first time but I had a great experience and look forward to flying it again this weekend.
Several other sources agree that establishing a sense of purpose and having positive relationships are beneficial to happiness and also longevity.