My sister Kim recently reminded me how difficult it can be to eat healthy when traveling for work. This inspired me to develop a list of Paleo Friendly Foods To Go that go beyond the obvious list of fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts. Give some of these options a try.
- Hard Boiled Eggs (preferably pasture raised): These can be prepared early in the week and kept in the fridge. Before you’re heading out, just wrap these in a paper towel and put into a small Tupperware container. These have worked out very well for us.
- Trail Mix: Again, you can easily make your own weeks ahead of your planned travel. Mix some dark chocolate chips with your favorite raw nuts and dried fruit.
- Dehydrated snacks: Last Christmas, I gave Jeremy a dehydrator. With this, you can make several snacks that are good on the go. These include beef jerky, kale chips, fruit roll-ups… and the list goes on.
- Nut Butter Sandwiches: Over the past year, we noticed that Safeway sells freshly made nut butters of all types (Cashew, Walnuts, Pistachio, Almond, Peanut). You can spread this on some toasted sprouted bread, place it in a sandwich bag and go.
- Healthy Bars: Larabar brand sells a large variety of flavors. The thing we love about these bars is that there are only a handful of natural ingredients. No sugar or preservatives are added.
- Paleo Cookies: We have a few recipes on our blog: chocolate chip cookies, sweet potato based cookies
- Paleo Bread: We made a yummy banana bread a little while ago. This is a good snack!
- Leftover chicken soup in a stainless steel thermos: We often make chicken based broth soups. Heat-up some left-over and put in a thermos before heading out. There are some good stainless steel thermos options that retain heat for several hours.
- Smoothie or Protein Shake in a stainless steel thermos: Make your favorite shake, add some ice and put in a thermos. This can stay cool for a few hours and can be a tasty option on the road.
Remember that these snacks should be kept out of the sun and eaten the same day since this is all real food.