A week or so ago, I read the Cumin Spiced Slow Cooked Pork recipe on Everyday Paleo and wondered if we’ve be able to make it with the Ham Roast tha we had in the freezer.
Turns out, it worked pretty well (with a tweak or two). Here’s what I did.
- 1 3-4 pound Ham Roast
- Cumin, Sea Salt, Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- (we skipped the mushrooms–I’m not a fan)
- 2 cups green or red salsa (I also used the salsa verde from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup red salsa
- 2 cups strained tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons Cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet and apply salt, pepper, and half the cumin to the ham roast. Cook the roast for a few minutes per side and then transfer to the crock pot. Add the salsa, tomatoes, garlic, and sprinkle in the remainder of the cumin. Finally, deposit the onion rings on top.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours.