A few days ago we made Chicken with Vinegar (Poulet Au Vinaigre) Recipe and had some leftover chicken bits: skin and bone with lots of meat still on it. So I decided to make some chicken soup loosely based on the homemade chicken soup recipe from AllRecipies.com.
- leftover chicken bits from the previous recipe
- 1-2 pounds of whole carrots
- 1 large onion, cut in thirds
- half a dozen purple (or whatever color you like) potatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, chopped into half inch pieces
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 jar (roughly 2 cups) of homemade chicken stock
- sea salt, fresh ground pepper, oregano, and ground cloves
Put the chicken in a large soup pot and cover with water, going about an inch above the chicken. Add the carrots, onion, and potatoes. Turn on low heat and allow to simmer for several hours.
Once the meat has cooked, it will pull away from the bone. Remove the bone and skin from the pot. Add the chicken stock, asparagus, and peas and cook for another 45 minutes or so.
Season with with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in some oregano and a couple teaspoons of cloves.
Serve and enjoy.
We were both impressed at how tasty this one was–especially considering how little effort was involved in making it. And, like some of our other favorite recipes, this is a great base to start with and add other ingredients you like.